Wisconsin Permit Applications for Lakes and Ponds


DATCP Fish Farm Registration Application - Print and submit an Type 1 Fish Farm application to the Wisconsin Department of Ag, Trade, and Consumer Protection. Being registered as a fish farm allows you (and others) to:

1. Fish in the pond(s) without a license
2. Stock fish without a DNR permit
3. Fish in the pond(s) without having to observe season, size or bag limits

Please note that a WDNR permit and WPDES coverage is required for aquatic herbicide/algaecide use if a pond isn't completely contained on the property. There is a small fee for this permit which must be renewed yearly. Applicants MUST also fill out and submit the Livestock Premises Application below.

Livestock Premises Application and Instructions - This application most accompany the DATCP Fish Farm license application above and most also be renewed annually.

WDNR Fish Stocking Application - Online fish stocking application intended for ponds NOT registered as a DATCP Fish Farm. Must be accompanied by DATCP Fish Health Certificates from fish supplier.

WDNR Aquatic Plant Control Application and Permit/WPDES Pesticide Pollutant Permit Application - In the Wisconsin, all water must be permitted before any algaecide or herbicide treatment may begin. If the water to be treated leaves the property, individual WPDES coverage must also be obtained (unless owner is working with an applicator that has statewide WPDES coverage).

WDNR Large-Scale Aquatic Plant Treatment Worksheet - Must accompany the WDNR Aquatic Plant Control Application and Permit if waterbody is public and treatment will exceed 10 acres in size.

WDNR Herbicide Treatment Record - WDNR requires this form to be submitted no later than 30 days after each lake/pond treatment.

WDNR Mechanical/Manual Aquatic Plant Control Permit - This permit allows mechanical or manual removal of plants in a public water body beyond the 30 feet allowed under s. NR 109.06 (2a).

Wisconsin Pesticide Pollutant Discharge Permits- Also called WPDES permits, this coverage is needed if the water cannot be contained on the property.